July 18, 2008

You Are My Sunshine, My Only Sunshine

This is a hilarious rendition of the good ol' state song, You Are My Sunshine, written by Louisiana's own former governor, Jimmie Davis and Charles Mitchell. It was officially adopted as Louisiana's Official State Song in 1977. Governor Jimmie Davis was known as the singing governor.

Last night while trying to get my children to sleep I began singing this song. I love it. While researching the history of the song, I ran across numerous artists including Johnny Cash, Ray Charles, and Anne Murray just to name a few. Then I came across this video of Will Smith dressed in a sunflower outfit singing You are my Sunshine with a bunch of children and thought I'd share it with you.

If you'd like the lyrics to sing to your children, grandchildren, Sunday school class or sweet heart, click here.