November 01, 2008

There's still time to visit the State Fair of Louisiana

The State Fair of Louisiana is open until November 9th. There's still time to enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of the State Fair.

My family enjoyed the State Fair of Louisiana on Thursday. The weather was so wonderful. The sun was a little warm but there was a nice breeze that kept us comfortable.

I grew up going to the fair with my family. It was a fun, family time. I remember my father dragging us through the exhibit buildings. Now, I love the exhibits. There aren't as many as there were when I was little but they are still good. I enjoy seeing all of the crafts and projects that people submit. I enjoy getting literature on different products and industries in Louisiana. I enjoy visiting with folks that promote our great state.

The exhibits in the Agricultural building include products that are grown or made right here in Louisiana. There is a great display of an old house that is full of products you can find right here in Louisiana. Agriculture and forestry are very important to our state. Lots of people depend on Louisiana farmers for their food. The State Fair of Louisiana is a great place to see just what Louisiana has to offer the world.

Food, glorious fair food...any type of food you can imagine...corn dogs, cotton candy, meat pies, kettle korn, tiki tea (sweet tea in a small jug), ice cream, sausage and peppers, pizza, steak, are you hungry yet? Yeros, tacos, taquitos, salt water taffy, BBQ, hot dogs, candy apples, oh so much more...I'm ready to go back!!

If you haven't been to the fair in a while, it's time to go back. There's lots to do and see. There's plenty of security. It is a great place to take your family. Never did I feel uneasy. It was one of those days that you look back on and think, "I had a great time".

If you don't have a great deal of money, don't worry, from 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday it is Free to park and Free to enter. Armbands to ride all of the rides are only $10.00. Some of the food is reasonable and some isn't...I had a meat pie for $2.00; the tiki tea was $3.00 with $1.00 refills (I thought that was very reasonable); the large corndogs were $5.00 and the smaller ones were $3.00 (they weren't very small). With games and rides we spent about $60.00.

This year the fair is helping 4-H celebrate their Centennial Birthday. There are many exhibits around the fair which showcase 4-H and the contributions 4-H has made to the world in the past 100 years. Be sure to check out the 4-H exhibits while you are there. Many talented children worked long and hard to put those projects together. 4-H is a wonderful organization and it began in Louisiana.

Hurry, the State Fair of Louisiana ends November 9th. Don't miss out on the fun!